Friday, March 25, 2011

Paint it Purple Blogfest



Whoa, my first blogfest ever! I am very excited to participate in the Paint it Purple blogfest held by  Erin Kane Spock, author of the Hold On To Your Bloomer's blog and Elizabethan era historical romance.


Since I am new, please forgive any newby mistakes!


The premise:
1) Post a short segment (a paragraph or two, really no more than 100 words) of your work-in-progess.

2) Paint it purple with enough metaphors, similes, and poetry to gag the most die hard beatnik.  This version is sure to be much longer than you original work (hence the word limit for the first selection).  Feel free to run wild, spitting in the face of good taste, genre norms, and Occam's razor.


Here is a pre-purple paint paragraph from my work-in-progress (with a work-in-progress title of Dark Stardust), told in first person by the seventeen year old protagonist, Cat. Her dreaded dress is lavender, so this passage seemed fitting for Paint it Purple. 
************

      Five minutes until the wedding. I took a deep breath and looked at the dress again. It was only a dress, right? I could put it on, I thought. It seemed like a simple act, a seemingly easy decision, but it pulled my mind into the abyss of a hundred caves of thought. I slowly changed into the lavender strappy tangle of a dress, catching it several times on the army of bobby pins warring with my hair. A pair of matching dress sandals rested in their box - obviously meant for me. I pushed them back in their place and left them on the dressing room table. Looking up I caught my reflection in the mirror - wondering for a moment, who is that girl?

***********
Bring on the purple paint version:




    Five minutes until the dreaded wedding. I took a long, deep breath, like a passenger on the sinking Titanic just one moment before hitting the icy surface of the sea, and forced myself to look at the dress again. It was only a stupid, ridiculously-not-me-dress, right? I could put it on, I thought, wading through the sticky globs of molasses in my mind. It seemed like a simple act, a seemingly easy decision, but it blasted my mind into the abyss of a hundred thousand caves of thought. I slowly changed into the lavender strappy tangle of a dress, each moment lasting an eternity of eternities. The straps seemed to grow mischievous fingers, pulling and catching endless times on the army of bobby pins warring with my hair. A pair of matching lavender sandals rested pleasantly in their box, like two pretty little corpses, meant for me to wear with the dreadful dress. I pushed them back in their place, a little too forcefully - and left them on the dressing room table like a plate of grey-green broccoli.  Looking up I caught my unfamiliar reflection in the mirror - wondering for a split second, who is that creature? 














5 comments:

  1. OMG, I think the broccoli part was my favourite. LOL. Great job! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how she pushes the shoes back into the box. Excellent--on both versions!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was great. I too have "the abyss of a hundred thousand caves of thought" in my head. What a crazy coincidence!
    Seriously, great submission (newby or not).
    Thanks for participating!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Despite it being supposedly over-the-top, your purpled-up version is so much more visual and vibrant! And it really gives us a taste of what's actually going on in Cat's head.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Where are those shoes from pleeeaaase.x

    ReplyDelete