Monday, March 28, 2011

Villains and the Muppets


Villans. I have been working on a particularly nasty grandmother in my W.I.P, Dark Stardust, and it has been an interesting walk towards making her who she is. Do I make her so evil her eyes seem to shoot laser beams? Do I take the more subtle, passive aggressive route to amplify her motives/feelings? 

I spent many hours of my childhood with those four dudes in the picture above. Four horrible, awful villains - characters of abuse and horror. They also happened to be Muppets (so I guess that made it all ok). On a side note, I have no idea why so much of children's programming is terrifying to children, even today. 

So, we had this video disk player and I played the Muppet Musicians of Bremen over and over. And over. These guys abused their animals in terrible ways - the fat one even wanted to eat his animal. OH and they were also some kinda band of thieves. Lots of scary close ups of those dudes later,  the animals get their revenge in the end (literally for one of the meanies). 

A real villain has to have a motive - a reason to be awful. Truth be told, everyone thinks they are justified in their actions, no matter how horrible. I remember a story about Al Capone - he said he was doing the community a service by providing jobs. Justification. There are always two sides to every story, especially with villains. 


(Let's look at this clip from Caleb Siles view point - that cat isn't doing much to control the rat population! She deserves to be thrown out for dancing and singing with the vermin!)

A big thank you to Kristen Bower, an incredible writer of The Vesuvius Isotope, a brilliant story that I absolutely love (her W.I.P), for helping guide me towards the much more vile subtle Grandmother Catherine. 

1 comment:

  1. I remember the musicians of Bremmen!
    Villain's really do make the story. I love the villain from my last book so much that he's coming back in this one (not as my primary bad guy, though).

    ReplyDelete